[OS X TeX] Who should use (La)TeX - who is able to use it?

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 17 23:10:55 CET 2004

Jack,

If you are comfortable with Textures you can still use it in classic
mode. I still use Textures for the actual writing  of a manuscript, be
it paper or book, and use TeXshop, etc., only for polishing the final
result.

Stick to the following rules:

1. All user defined files are first saved as  TeXShop files and then
opened in Textures, if necessary. You can also switch back and forth.

2. If you have to use packages that are not part of Textures tex
implementation, then add them at the appropriate places, which is
usually no big deal.

3. There are a few packages like mfpic, mostly related with advanced
graphic tools, that Textures can't handle. Try to use them only at the
latest moment, e.g., all graphics should be added at the end. If you
have to use conflicting packages - conflicting with Textures -, disable
them with the help of the excellent package version.sty, when you are
in Textures. A simple command in the preamble like
\excludeversion{mfpic} would be enough.

4. With regard to your graphics, I can only speculate; but even if you
have to recreate them from scratch, I could imagine that doing it with
the help of metapost, in which case I would recommend the "frontend"
mfpic, would be fun - at least for you as author.

Claus

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>