[OS X TeX] pdftex's "hz extensions"

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Mon Nov 15 09:19:42 CET 2004

On 15 Nov 2004, at 6:16 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> When using OS X fonts with XeTeX, most superscripts and subscripts
> cause the interline spacing ... to vary

I've noticed this too, but for \TeX rather than for sub/super-scripts.
Could such a thing be prevented by putting it in a zero-height (and
depth) box or something?

> I think, sadly, that nothing can be done against this: XeTeX leaves
> most font management tasks to OS X, and the above is simply the way OS
> X sees things (i.e. its notion of character height, interline space,
> and the like). Or am I mistaken? (I would love to be!)

Maybe, maybe not.
In TextEdit, enable the Ruler (CMD R) and choose Spacing > Other. One
of the options is:
    Line height =
       (exactly xxx points) OR
       (at least yyy points (AND, optionally, at most zzz points))

Presumably XeTeX is using the second option (since it is the default),
whereas it is conceivable that it could also use the first. However,
this method only works for superscripts (curses!), since it uses the
baseline of the lowest character as the baseline of the whole line (how
stupid!). I wonder if filing a bug on this would be worthwhile...

I've forwarded this to the XeTeX list in case JK misses it here since I
think he's away (or busy) at the moment.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>