[OS X TeX] pdftex's "hz extensions"

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 08:46:19 CET 2004

Will Robertson wrote:

> (A horrible decision to make, actually: "do I want nice fonts in XeTeX
> or better looking results in pdfTeX?" !)

Same here! I have finally been going back to pdfTeX for a document I'm writing, for a silly reason: I write mostly maths, meaning superscripts and subscripts all over the place. When using OS X fonts with XeTeX, most superscripts and subscripts cause the interline spacing (or \baselineskip in TeX's jargon) to vary, pretty much as it does in WYSIWYG word processors, whereas with pdfTeX this spacing is constant. As long as I was working with double-spaced text, for proofreading, I didn't notice the issue, but when switching to single spacing for preparing the final version, that was a not nice surprise!

I think, sadly, that nothing can be done against this: XeTeX leaves most font management tasks to OS X, and the above is simply the way OS X sees things (i.e. its notion of character height, interline space, and the like). Or am I mistaken? (I would love to be!)

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>