[OS X TeX] no figures in a ps (OT?)

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sun Nov 14 23:56:30 CET 2004

Hi Bruno, and others

On 15/11/2004, at 7:41 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 14 nov. 04, à 20:40, Hendrik Chaltin a écrit :
>
>> On 14 Nov 2004, at 17:47, Herb Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> You'll also note that TeXShop substitutes a different font for the
>>> text;
>>> so the fonts aren't included in the .ps either!

The fonts are included, but as Type 3, as Bruno said.

>> ... indeed, but the result is so bad
>> that you have to magnify to 140
>> in order to be able to read the text
>> (and to 190 for fractions etc.);
>> even then, the symbols are murky.
>> I guess it's an encoding problem.

Nothing to do with encodings; just with how the glyphs themselves are
drawn.

> I think the problem is, rather, that the authors used a TeX setup in
> which the CM fonts are not available in PostScript format. Hence the
> fonts are created by TeX at runtime, from the original MF (MetaFont)
> sources, in bitmap PK format (generally at 300 or 600 dpi), and dvips
> includes these bitmap fonts in the PS file that it produces, in the
> form of PostScript Type 3 fonts.

The figures are imported as  .ps  pages, created in Textures !
(They were not exported as .eps , which is doubtless the reason that
these images cause problems in some viewers.)
But the whole file was done using  TeX + dvips .
Type 1 versions of the fonts must have been available to the authors,
but they have neglected to use them.

> Hence the jagged output. On my setup the PDF file (created from the PS
> file using either TeXShop, Preview or Distiller) looks slightly better
> in Adobe Reader than Preview.

> You can see the difference between the two types of fonts by looking
> at the title, abstract and table of contents, which are in the
> (vectorial) PostScript Type 1 Optima font, and the rest of the paper,
> which is in (bitmap) PostScript Type 3 fonts called T1, T2, etc.
> (actually CM fonts).

Yep.

Now in Acrobat Reader, or Adobe Reader, go to a page where there
are missing images.  Change the magnification.
What I then see is part of the missing bits flash up momentarily,
before the page image stabilises.

It's as if there are several layers, each the size of the whole page,
which are opaque rather than transparent. Thus a later layer obscures
an earlier one, so that only the text towards the end of the 2nd column
remains visible.

However, I don't think there is any explicit filling of a page-sized
rectangle.
(The .ps file views file, with all the figures, using Ghostview under
X11;
but distilling using Acrobat Pro doesn't help.)

Rather I suspect that the imported images reset the PostScript
page-device,
causing earlier material on the page to be discarded.
This would be due to importing a .ps (rather than .eps ) file for a
figure,
where there is a complicated header section that uses PostScript
operators that are forbidden for EPS files.
Textures' header is very complicated, and I've not yet located where
the trouble is triggered, or whether there's an easy way to fix the
problem.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>