[OS X TeX] Paragraph Spacing

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 15 00:14:05 CET 2004

On 14 nov 2004, at 23:53, George Ghio wrote:

> How do I close up the gaps? I have used <\setlength{\parskip}{-3.5ex}>
> which is less than satisfactory in that the spacing is not quite
> consistent
>  across the document.

Wrong command: the \paragraph command is actually a sectioning command
(\part, \chapter, \section, \subsection, \subsubsection, \paragraph,
\subparagraph, each taking a parameter to be used as a title, and they
all have an optional parameter for use in other locations than the
title itself (ToC, page headers)). I may have missed a level, I usually
don't go that deep.

Normal paragraph breaking is done either with an empty line, like this:

When he goes by people turn away and shut their doors. He is a
part of the town they don't want to know about.

I first met Jack on one of those nights with broken cloud scudding
past on the wind. I had just left a friends house and was going home. I
came
around the corner and there he was. Right in the middle of the road.
Hell! He
was right in front of me. I swerved and hit the brakes. It was too
little
too late. I went right over him. I sat there clutching the wheel
shaking. When
I looked up I saw Jack and his dog walking up the road. Cloud passed
across
the moon and he disappeared.

I must have sat there for an hour before I stopped shaking enough
to drive home. It took me thirty minutes to drive the eight kilometres
to my
place.

(And setting the lengths \parskip to 0pt, and \parindent to something
larger than zero).

if you really want a command, used \par, but I _strongly_ suggest you
use empty lines in your sources, as it makes it easier to see where
each paragraph ends.

Regards,

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>