[OS X TeX] no figures in a ps (OT?)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Nov 14 21:41:28 CET 2004

Le 14 nov. 04, à 20:40, Hendrik Chaltin a écrit :

> On 14 Nov 2004, at 17:47, Herb Schulz wrote:
>
>> You'll also note that TeXShop substitutes a different font for the
>> text;
>> so the fonts aren't included in the .ps either!
>
> ... indeed, but the result is so bad
> that you have to magnify to 140
> in order to be able to read the text
> (and to 190 for fractions etc.);
> even then, the symbols are murky.
> I guess it's an encoding problem.

I think the problem is, rather, that the authors used a TeX setup in
which the CM fonts are not available in PostScript format. Hence the
fonts are created by TeX at runtime, from the original MF (MetaFont)
sources, in bitmap PK format (generally at 300 or 600 dpi), and dvips
includes these bitmap fonts in the PS file that it produces, in the
form of PostScript Type 3 fonts.

Hence the jagged output. On my setup the PDF file (created from the PS
file using either TeXShop, Preview or Distiller) looks slightly better
in Adobe Reader than Preview.

You can see the difference between the two types of fonts by looking at
the title, abstract and table of contents, which are in the (vectorial)
PostScript Type 1 Optima font, and the rest of the paper, which is in
(bitmap) PostScript Type 3 fonts called T1, T2, etc. (actually CM
fonts).

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>