[OS X TeX] Microtype Report(?)

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 11 21:48:11 CET 2004

Howdy,

Now that I've got microtype working with the fonts I use I've started to
look at the pdf file sizes and using expansion can have quite and effect on
that since pdftex must embed the expanded fonts as well as the original
fonts. I've played with a few files using Lucida Bright as well as Times,
Palatino, Fourier and Charter all with Scaled Helvetica and Scaled Courier
and turning expansion on increased the size of the PDFs by a factor 2.5--3.5
times (e.g., 72k --> 244k for a 6 page report with maths, etc.).

It certainly makes beautiful paragraphs with much less hyphenation, in most
cases, and a tight uniform "color" visually.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>