[OS X TeX] Microtype & phv

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 11 19:34:31 CET 2004

On 11/11/04 12:14 PM, "Aaron Jackson" <jackson at negril.msrce.howard.edu>
wrote:

> Well, basically all the fonts included with LaTeX (with the exception
> of utopia) are knock-offs.  It's like going to the barber and asking
> for a Mullet and getting a Mulletini instead.  It's just not as
> bitchen' as the real thing (the top just isn't as short as it should
> be, while the back just isn't as long).
>
> It seems that when you try to process your doc, the system is looking
> for the real helvetica, which isn't installed on your system.  I guess
> the real fix is to get type 1 postscript versions of helvetica and
> install them on your system (not too hard, I just installed Times New
> Roman last night), or find out why the system is looking for real
> helvetica instead of looking for it's "Mulletini" version URW Nimbus
> Sans (uhvr8a not phvr8).  It could be something is broken...
>
> If you want install your own fonts take a look at:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html
>
> and
>
> http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide.pdf
>
> They pretty much tell you everything you need to know.  FIY the
> instructions for making a map file are more current in the pdf..

Howdy,

But, for example, when I use Charter (also one of the Basic 35 LaserWriter
Fonts) I have no problems with expansion being enabled (and it does have an
effect) in microtype. I know that there are special microtype configuration
files for Palatino and Times but not for Charter.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>