[OS X TeX] Microtype & phv

Aaron Jackson jackson at negril.msrce.howard.edu
Thu Nov 11 19:14:00 CET 2004

Well, basically all the fonts included with LaTeX (with the exception
of utopia) are knock-offs.  It's like going to the barber and asking
for a Mullet and getting a Mulletini instead.  It's just not as
bitchen' as the real thing (the top just isn't as short as it should
be, while the back just isn't as long).

It seems that when you try to process your doc, the system is looking
for the real helvetica, which isn't installed on your system.  I guess
the real fix is to get type 1 postscript versions of helvetica and
install them on your system (not too hard, I just installed Times New
Roman last night), or find out why the system is looking for real
helvetica instead of looking for it's "Mulletini" version URW Nimbus
Sans (uhvr8a not phvr8).  It could be something is broken...

If you want install your own fonts take a look at:

http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html

and

http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide.pdf

They pretty much tell you everything you need to know.  FIY the
instructions for making a map file are more current in the pdf..

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>