[OS X TeX] latest pdftex DVI vs PDF mode

Alexandru Scorpan ascorpan at math.ufl.edu
Tue Nov 9 18:20:13 CET 2004

> latest pdftex is expected to run either in pdf or dvi mode, but how
> the switch is made?
>
> Moreover, how can we recognize that we are in pdf mode and not dvi
> mode (this is for pdfsync)?

pdftex was always able to produce dvi output.

Start your document with \pdfoutput=0 and dvi will be the end result.
Do nothing or start it with \pdfoutput=1 (or more) and pdf will come
out.  Check whether the value of \pdfoutput is zero or positive to find
out whether you're in dvi or pdf mode.  Or use the package ifpdf.

Happy TeXing.

-- Alex

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>