[OS X TeX] More pronounced margin kerning in TL 2004?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Nov 9 08:51:06 CET 2004

Le 9 nov. 04, à 08:23, Jérôme Laurens a écrit :

> Le 8 nov. 04, à 17:01, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> I usually get margin kerning in LaTeX with:
>>
>>   \input{protcode}
>>   \newcommand{\setupfont}{
>>     \setprotcode\font}
>>   \newcommand{\setupfam}{
>>     \setupfont
>>     {\itshape\setupfont}
>>     {\bfseries\setupfont}
>>     {\itshape\bfseries\setupfont}
>>     {\scshape\setupfont}}
>>   \AtBeginDocument{
>>     \setupfam
>>     {\LARGE\setupfam}
>>     {\large\setupfam}
>>     {\small\setupfam}
>>     {\footnotesize\setupfam}
>>     {\indexsize\setupfam}}
>>   \pdfprotrudechars=2
>
> I don't think my remark will help, it is more a mater of TeX coding.
> I never use a begin group to end a line, I always use a comment after
> "{%".
> Using a "{" alone to end the line will sometimes add an unexpected
> white space.

Yes, that's true, a safer option is to always comment out ends of lines
in macro definitions. Call me picky, but in that particular case I had
tried, for each line in the above definition, to put and then suppress
"%" at the end, to see whether the resulting TeX output was altered;
which doesn't mean, in any case, that I hadn't made errors in the final
result.

A better strategy, of course, would be to understand exactly how ends
of lines are taken into account by TeX in each case. Sometimes, at the
end of a whole day of TeX macro coding and use of the TeXbook, I have
the impression I have understood the underlying rules for this, but
then the next time I have some coding to do I realize I have forgotten
all of that supposedly acquired "wisdom".

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>