[OS X TeX] More pronounced margin kerning in TL 2004?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 8 22:54:20 CET 2004

Le 8 nov. 04, à 18:25, Herb Schulz a écrit :

> I just started to use the microtype package along with Lucida Bright
> and I
> don't see any difference in the margin kerning (protrusion) comparing
> to a
> pdf I produced a while ago using similar code to your above and with
> microtype. I've seen some re-arranging of paragraphs because of
> expansion
> and, I believe, microtype allows more glyphs to protrude. In all cases
> I've
> seen so far the new version looks better to my eyes than the old
> version.
>
> In any case, microtype allows you to adjust the amount of protrusion
> and
> expansion allowed on a font by font basis although I haven't played
> with it
> and am satisfied for now.
>
> I've just been using \usepackage{microtype}; equivalent to [activate]
> which
> turns on both protrusion and expansion.

Hi Herb,

Thanks for the tip. I've just tried the microtype package, with margin
kerning only or with both margin kerning (aka character protrusion) and
font expansion. Margin kerning only does indeed produce the same
results as the code I had posted, based on protcode.tex, so I must have
had weary eyes or been in some advanced hallucinogenic state.

Font expansion yields very nice results, I got all paragraphs set with
practically no hyphenations (I use Lucida fonts too), which is exactly
what I like (I *hate* hyphenation, when there are more than one or two
per page say). Unfortunately this changed most page breaks, and for the
present document I'm editing I can't deal with these changes right now
-- not enough time. Plus there are apparently a number of settings to
adjust, such as defining which encodings should be affected by
expansion (like TS1 or not), whether math fonts are affected, whether
italic fonts should be affected (by default they aren't), or even
running a test file to determine, for each new font family, which
settings are optimal. The microtype package has settings for several
different families, but these don't include Lucida, though the default
settings seem to fit it reasonably well.

Thanks for the tip again, I'll look into it more thoroughly as soon as
time allows.

Bruno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>