[OS X TeX] More pronounced margin kerning in TL 2004?

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 8 18:25:59 CET 2004

On 11/8/04 10:01 AM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it just me, or has the effect of margin kerning been intensified in
> the version of pdfTeX shipped with TL2004? I think there has been on
> this list a message mentioning this, at the time TL2004 was released,
> but I can't find it.
>
> I usually get margin kerning in LaTeX with:
>
>  \input{protcode}
>  \newcommand{\setupfont}{
>    \setprotcode\font}
>  \newcommand{\setupfam}{
>    \setupfont
>    {\itshape\setupfont}
>    {\bfseries\setupfont}
>    {\itshape\bfseries\setupfont}
>    {\scshape\setupfont}}
>  \AtBeginDocument{
>    \setupfam
>    {\LARGE\setupfam}
>    {\large\setupfam}
>    {\small\setupfam}
>    {\footnotesize\setupfam}
>    {\indexsize\setupfam}}
>  \pdfprotrudechars=2
>
> (I haven't started experimenting with pdfcprot or microtype yet). But
> using the above I now have the impression, after moving to TL2004, that
> punctuation signs and hyphens protrude more in the right margin than
> they did before. Is it just an illusion?
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I just started to use the microtype package along with Lucida Bright and I
don't see any difference in the margin kerning (protrusion) comparing to a
pdf I produced a while ago using similar code to your above and with
microtype. I've seen some re-arranging of paragraphs because of expansion
and, I believe, microtype allows more glyphs to protrude. In all cases I've
seen so far the new version looks better to my eyes than the old version.

In any case, microtype allows you to adjust the amount of protrusion and
expansion allowed on a font by font basis although I haven't played with it
and am satisfied for now.

I've just been using \usepackage{microtype}; equivalent to [activate] which
turns on both protrusion and expansion.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>