[OS X TeX] TL 2004, mathtime & mtbold

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Nov 7 23:11:30 CET 2004

Le 7 nov. 04, à 22:47, Jürgen Pöschel a écrit :

> yesterday, I upgraded my TeX-installation
> to TL 2004 and tetex 3, using Gerbens i-installer.
> Everything is fine except ... when using
> the mathtime fonts. It boils down to the
> following: when I run
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[mtbold]{mathtime}
>
> \begin{document}
> $a:b!$
> \end{document}
>
> the : and the ! in the math formula are missing
> in the print out.
>
> This does /not/ happen with option cmbold or nobold,
> or with lucida fonts or latin modern fonts.
> It also does not happen with the TL 2003
> which I still have on another machine.
>
> I have no idea what is going on here ...

I came across strange behaviour of MathTime after upgrading to TL 2004
too. After a bit of research, it turns out the default has changed:

- For MathTime you have two setups: the original commercial MathTime
fonts, shipped by Y&Y, with also a MathTime Plus addition (containing
bold math fonts, for one thing); and the "open source" clone, called
Belleek.

- With TL 2003 the default was the commercial MathTime, and the
included LaTeX support files were set for the complete MathTime set
(i.e. MathTime 1.1 and MathTime Plus). With TL 2004 the default is
Belleek, and the included support files are set for this set (which
includes no bold maths).

What should be done in your case (since it seems you're using bold
maths) is explained in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/fonts/mathtime/README.teTeX
(with a few straightforward adaptations for Gerben's setup).

HTH,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>