[OS X TeX] Problem with lucidabr

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 5 15:55:18 CET 2004

On 5 nov 2004, at 15:32, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Can someone please point me to explicit and detailed instructions for
> using lucidabr?
> The ff ligature appears blank in my output, but the font looks right
> otherwise.

Strange, since the last errormessages below suggest that the fonts are
not included at all.
I think a whole lot more apart from the ff ligature should be missing
(as in: there should
not be a single character in sight).

> Do I need to buy the font?

If you haven't done so already, yes. The Lucida fonts are commercial.
That said, the only source to get the full set, packaged so that it is
usable with TeX (that is Y&Y) seems to be out of business. So I don't
know where you'd have to buy them.

> Using
> -----------------------
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc} or  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{lucidabr}
> -----------------------

That seems to be correct.

> -----------------------
> Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map):
> entry for `h
> lcbot8r' already exists, duplicates ignored
> -----------------------
> I think that this is because I, in my ignorance, tried
> -----------------------
> sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-k.map
> sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-k.map
> -----------------------

sudo updmap --disable lucidabr-k.map
sudo updmap --disable lumath-k.map

> as someone had suggested. ***So, I would like to undo what I did wrong
> there.***

Once you have teh type-1 fonts, you should make sure that only a single
set of ludica map
files is added with updmap.

> Then at the end:
> -----------------------
>  Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file lbms.
> pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for reading

(etc.)

Yup: you didn't buy them and as a consequence the actual fonts are not
found (the metrics are,
but not the outlines). So I really wonder what you're seeing, can you
post a sample PDF to the web,
so we can have a look. Right now I can tell you that you probably need
to get the fonts, but from whom,
I have no clue.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>