[OS X TeX] Problem with lucidabr

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Nov 5 15:54:52 CET 2004

Le 5 nov. 04, à 15:32, Michael Kubovy a écrit :

> Can someone please point me to explicit and detailed instructions for
> using lucidabr? The ff ligature appears blank in my output, but the
> font looks right otherwise. Do I need to buy the font?

In case you haven't purchased them: yes, the Lucida Bright and New Math
fonts aren't free, they must be purchased from Y&Y
<http://www.yandy.com/> which, however, appears to be temporarily out
of business (comp.text.tex has some rumouring about this). In case you
get the fonts, ask for getting them in PFB format, not Mac format
(which would be a set of FFIL screen suitcases and LWFN printer font
files appropriate for Classic).

You may also try to purchase them from Blue Sky TeX Systems
<http://www.bluesky.com/>, in which case you're likely to get the Mac
format version.

> I get:
>
> Before the listing of the compilation:
>
> -----------------------
> Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map):
> entry for `h
> lcbot8r' already exists, duplicates ignored
>
> snip <about 40 entries like these>
>
> Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file /usr/
> local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map):
> entry for `h
> lxri8y' already exists, duplicates ignored
> -----------------------
>
> I think that this is because I, in my ignorance, tried
> -----------------------
> sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-k.map
> sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-k.map
> -----------------------
> as someone had suggested. ***So, I would like to undo what I did wrong
> there.***

You must do either

	sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr.map
	sudo updmap --enable Map lumath.map

or

	sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-k.map
	sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-k.map

but not the two (this is a XOR). To undo what you've done wrong, just

	sudo updmap --disable lucidabr-k.map
	sudo updmap --disable lumath-k.map

On the other hand, you can leave

	sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-o.map
	sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-o.map

as it doesn't conflict with the other declarations.

HTH,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>