[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package update

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Nov 5 10:47:28 CET 2004

On 5 Nov 2004, at 00:13, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.11.2004 um 21:49 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>> So a couple of items have been updated to latest versions and texdoc
>> now works. Try
>>
>> 	texdoc dvips
>>
>> on the command line ;-)
>
> That's really great! I was going to try launch
> (http://web.sabi.net/nriley/software/) as the viewer application in
> texdoc -- but you were faster! And open seems to work better than in
> previous versions of Mac OS X.
>
> IMO Preview is not the best application to view PDF or to PDF
> on-the-fly converted PS. Preview always starts at the top of the page,
> wich usually does not carry any useful information. TeXShop does it
> much better concentrating on the useful area once adjusted to it. And
> TeXShop does not mangle characters from TeX documents -- at least I
> happened to see some strange ones, that I tried Acrobat/Adobe Reader
> as proof reader.
>
> One little question, or two: is there a real ConTeXt i-package out
> there? Or does the context-updater i-package already contain
> everything? I am missing the context.engine ...

Both the i-Package and the ConTeXT updater contain everything for
ConTeXt that is in the texmf tree. The command you need (in the
Programs directories) is texexec.

If you get context engine warning, you probably have a first line in
your file trying to tell other programs you want ConTeXt. That feature
differes between programs and is not reliable (especially TeXShop if I
recall correctly has a syntax that confuses other engines). Just remove
that line and try again.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>