[OS X TeX] Lucidabr and fontenc

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 14:44:37 CET 2004

Le 4 nov. 04, à 04:20, Cameron Hooper a écrit :

> I have just switched over to a Mac and have a question about the
> Lucida Bright fonts. I have installed the fonts, run texhash and run
> the following commands as suggested in a post I found in the archives
> for this list.
>
> sudo updmap --enable Map lucidabr-k.map
> sudo updmap --enable Map lumath-k.map
>
> Everything works fine. However, I have to include the line
>
> \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
>
> in order for the fonts to work. If I don't \usepackage{lucidabr} does
> not work. It does not produce an error, but the output is in computer
> modern. If I use the older \usepackage{lucidbry} command then I do not
> need to use the fontenc package. I have used the fonts for a number of
> years on both Linux and Windows and have never had to use fontenc
> before.

Hello,

Looking at your question and the answers that followed, here are a few
comments which, admittedly, do not say much more than these answers:

- The map files lucidabr-o.map and lumath-o.map correspond to the case
when your PFB Lucida fonts use the original names from Y&Y, namely
lbr.pfb etc., and you are calling the fonts, in your TeX documents,
using these same names (associated with metrical files lbr.tfm etc.,
which the file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/aliases defines as
aliases for hlhr8y.tfm etc.). This happens, in particular, in plain
TeX, since the file lcdplain.tex (shipped with the fonts, not included
in teTeX), to be called in your .tex input files, contains definitions
such as:

	\font\tenrm=lbr at 9.5pt \font\sevenrm=lbr at 6.9pt  \font\fiverm=lbr
at 5.2pt

Since the file lucidabr-o.map reencodes the fonts to TeX 'n ANSI (aka
LY1) encoding, you also have to call, in your .tex input file, the file
texnansi.tex, also shipped with the fonts and absent from teTeX.

- The map files lucidabr.map and lumath.map correspond to the case when
your PFB fonts use the original Y&Y names (such as lbr.pfb) and you are
calling the fonts using their Karl-Berry-style names, in either TeX 'n
ANSI encoding (aka LY1), corresponding to metrics hlhr8y.tfm, or TeX
Base 1 encoding (aka T1), corresponding to metrics hlhr8r.tfm (and its
derivative hlhr8t.tfm, through hlhr8t.vf). This happens, in particular,
in LaTeX, using \usepackage{lucidabr}.

- The map files lucidabr-k.map and lumath-k.map correspond to the
latter case, except for the names of the PFB fonts, which are
Karl-Berry-style directly, namely hlhr8y.pfb instead of lbr.pfb etc.

Now comes the question of encoding. In LaTeX, it wasn't before
necessary to specify either

	\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}

or

	\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	\usepackage{textcomp}

as teTeX was shipped with old-style-TeX OT1 metrics hlhr7t.tfm etc.
Since OT1 is still the default TeX encoding, provided these metrics
were present on the system, they were used automagically. At some point
in v2 of teTeX, these OT1 metrics were suppressed (a consequence of the
decision of Walter Schmidt, the maintainer of the PSNFSS and PSNFSSX
packages, to no longer support OT1, in order to promote T1). Hence now
the use of fontenc is mandatory. The same happens for all the fonts in
the PSNFSS package, such as Times, Palatino, etc.

Hope this helps, despite the abundance of details,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>