[OS X TeX] XY plots (probably OT)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 15:26:10 CEST 2004

On 28 mei 2004, at 15:14, Gérard Degrez wrote:

>> surprised this hasn't been mentioned.
>>
>> xmgrace
>> http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/
>>
>> powerful, free, vector or raster graphics, plug-ins, etc.
>
> I second. I was just going through the answers to check whether anyone
> mentioned Xmgrace.
> It's available on MacOSX via Fink. Very nice.

Opinions differ there ;) There are a few things to be aware of here:
Internally it uses floats, not doubles. This may give critical rounding
errors (trust me, I've burned myself in the past).

Another issue (TeX related) is that is (a) page based: all graphs are
basically scaled to US-letter or A4. That in itself isn't too bad, just
make the font-size a bit bigger. You have to set the background as
transparent, otherwise you may get some inexplicable results when
scaling and inserting the figure into your latex document (why is the
caption half-missing, why all the white-space?).

One reason I don't really like the program, is because of an older
issue (since then is has been corrected): they used to create rotated
text by setting the label, and then rotating it as a bitmap, at fairly
low resolution to boot. I think that that is even harder than using PS
operators... Since that discovery I'm a bit weary of the program (plus
the fact that they seem to re-design the user interface at each
point-upgrade).

YMMV,

Maarten