[OS X TeX] Re: XY plots (probably OT)

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed May 26 03:37:06 CEST 2004

"Thomas Schröder" <hydrochlorix at gmx.net>,

I have found no general solution, especially for the multiple y-axes
option.  I, too, have resorted to a spreadsheet (but NOT Excel; as you
noted it messes up everything on a simple resize, etc.: typical
Mico$loth crapola), any spreadsheet that uses vector graphics (e.g.,
even something as simple as AppleWorks).  Then just plot everything
normally, but handle multiple y-axes using transparent overlays (i.e.,
select the background and turn it transparent).  Then select the whole
set, copy and paste into any vector-graphics app (the draw module in
AppleWorks will do), and select and edit any of the labels et al. that
need editing, including resizing. ``Group all'' and save.  Print to
pdf.  Open the pdf in TeXShop of Preview, select just the area of the
graph (to kill all the white space), cut, paste new, and save.
--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor