Please no: [OS X TeX] set environment variables for applications

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Tue May 25 11:08:43 CEST 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 03:43, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On May 24, 2004, at 17:31, Kino wrote:

>> What do you mean by *applications*? If that's Aqua apps, you would
>> confuse user defaults -- mostly set from Preferences GUI -- with
>> variables defined by environment.plist. I use it, for example, to set
>> $PATH for shell commands executed via TextExtras or from within Aqua
>> applications such as TeXShop and Xcode. If I'm not mistaken, this
>> works also with BBEdit that I don't have.

> For command line programs which we start from the shell, we do not
> have the alternative.

This is what I mean by "set $PATH for shell commands executed via...".
Perhaps "TeXShop" may have misled you, but what I had in mind is a
shell script I use as program in Preferences:Engine. I need my own
script for some reasons.

> But for GUI apps, we generally have. We can set variables per app, and
> thatis what we should do. Changing environment.plist is just a lazy
> solution.

You seem to be confused. As far as I understand, environment.plist has
nothing to do with Preferences settings of GUI apps.

Kino