[OS X TeX] Major path puzzlement

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri May 14 11:36:05 CEST 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 11:18 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On May 13, 2004, at 10:42, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> You can of course "correct" Fink by changing the /sw/bin/init.sh file
>> (make sure that $path or $PATH are _before_ any items that start with
>> /sw). I'd rather use a system that has considered security from the
>> start.
>
> Fink relies for it's working on this practice. If you do the 'right'
> thing and put it at the back, you get a mixture of fink and non-fink
> installed commands for which fink cannot guarantee interoperability.

Let me add as a critical remark that my solution does not really worry
about guaranteeing at all. In my experience, as soon as you do this,
you end up creating an operating system level project which is beyond
my meagre means. Fink's effort is therefore a heroic one.

My philosophy is that my install-stuff needs to work together with as
many as possible approaches (the OS itself, install from source, other
installs) . E.g. if you install libiconv on Jaguar yourself from
sources, my solution will support detecting that and reacting to it.
That, btw, is of course quite another can of worms.