[OS X TeX] Major path puzzlement

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 11 19:37:26 CEST 2004

Le 11 mai 04, à 18:38, stephenmoye at cox.net a écrit :

>> Then, undo any changes which fink made to your path.
>
> Here is my $PATH:
>
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/usr/local/bin/:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/
> local/
> bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> What am I looking for, and what do I change, and to what? ...And is
> there life
> after TeX? ;>}

To be removed: /sw/bin and /sw/sbin. Also, I'm surprised that
/usr/local/bin comes before /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. Do you
have another X11 installed, than Panther's one? I have Panther's X11
installed and working, and no /usr/X11R6/bin in my path.

As to what to change, I don't know. I _think_ (being close to
Unix-illiterate) there could be in your home directory a file ~/.cshrc,
where you modify settings for any shell used with your account. And
there are also shell-specific configuration files: ~/.login for tcsh,
and ~/.profile for bash. Any of them could contain path-setting
commands.

For example, I installed DarwinPorts some time ago, so my ~/.profile
ends with:

	export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin

and I have StuffIt Deluxe too so it also contains:

	##
	# DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
	# (do not remove this comment)
	##
	echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
	if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
	    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
	    export PATH
	fi

Similarly my ~/.login contains:

	##
	# DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
	# (do not remove this comment)
	##
	echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
	if $status == 1 then
	    set path = ( "/usr/local/bin" $path )
	endif

It's possible also that the Fink install modified a file
/private/etc/csh.login (setting things for all accounts on your Mac).
For example mine contains i-Installer's introduced modifications:

	## TeX modifications start at Sun Mar 28 17:05:35 CEST 2004
	## Do not remove the previous line
	if ("${uid}" != "0") then
	  set path = ( ${path}
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current )
	endif
	## Do not remove the next line
	## TeX modifications end at Sun Mar 28 17:05:35 CEST 2004
	## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Fri Apr  2 23:44:18 CEST
2004
	## Do not remove the previous line
	if ("${uid}" != "0") then
	  set path = ( ${path} /usr/local/bin )
	endif
	## Do not remove the next line
	## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Fri Apr  2 23:44:18 CEST
2004

!!!! Do not modify this file yourself !!!! as it could damage you
system thoroughly. If Fink's modifications are indeed stored there
(I've no idea), look for some Fink documentation, or ask to some Unix
gurus, on how to remove things cleanly.

> Will xetex install if I remove sw? Or should I do as you suggest at
> the end of
> your emai?

After you erase Fink (if you so decide), it would probably be better to
reinstall i-Installer packages, just to be sure.

In any case for me XeTeX works quite happily with i-Installer's TeX and
no Fink.

Bruno Voisin