[OS X TeX] Focus (was: Various TeX programs on Mac)

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sun May 9 16:12:12 CEST 2004

On May 8, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Curtis Clifton wrote:

> On May 8, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Leah Berman wrote:
>
>> On May 8, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Joachim Kock wrote:
>>
>>> Why do so many new tex users press 'Typeset' or 'ViewPDF' all the
>>> time?
>>
>> I don't know about the rest of you, but it's a lot better for me if I
>> typeset frequently rather than trying to find a missing $ in 15 pages
>> of uncompiled complicated math formatting!
>>
>> On the other hand, I am lucky that I have enough screen real estate
>> that I can have the source and the compiled versions side-by-side, so
>> I don't have to shift my cursor away from the source; I can just see
>> that it compiled fine and continue with what I am typing.
>
> What I would love to have is a TeX-aware text editor that puts
> unobtrusive markings under syntax errors in the source, similar to the
> various integrated development environments for programming like
> Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA.  These environments also offer suggested
> "quick fixes" for errors.  I find that such programming environments
> really help me focus on my content, the algorithm or data structure to
> be implemented.
>
> These environments also integrate documentation for the various
> libraries and packages that one might need to use, plus autocompletion
> of class names.  In a LaTeX context, this might mean that I could type
> "\begin{tab" and have a pop-up list appear with tabbing, tabular,
> tabular*, tabularc, tabularx, tabulary, tabwindow, etc.  Mousing over
> the suggestion (or some keyboard equivalent) would pop-up brief
> documentation on the particular environment.   Selecting a suggestion
> would (optionally) insert the appropriate template and, if necessary,
> add the appropriate package inclusion to the preamble.

In emacs, with the auc-tex package (pre-installed in xemacs), in the
LaTeX environment, C-c C-e puts up a prompt for the environment, which
you begin typing, with tab completion enabled. It will put you inside
the environment once you hit return. The auc-tex package adds a lot of
such niceties. For instance, C-c ] will close out the current
environment with \end{currentenvironment}.
Joe

(+1) 937-775-5085
http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater