[OS X TeX] half the size - double dpi...

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat May 8 15:44:24 CEST 2004

Le 8 mai 04, à 15:18, Mihalis Tsoukalos a écrit :

> I got a screen dump (using Option-Shift-4 and space) that I want to
> use in LaTeX. The screen dump is big and low-quality (72 dpi).
> I want to make it half the size and double its quality (144 dpi).
> Is there a way to do this outside LaTeX?
>
> [snip]
>
> What does the above do to the file quality (dpi)? Does it make the
> output dpis 2.5 (1/.4) times more?
> I want the output file format to be pdf.

Did you try using Grab (in /Applications/Utilities/) instead? It
creates screenshots (of the whole screen, of a selected area, of a
window, of a menu) in TIFF format, which you can then open in Preview
and convert from Preview to other formats including PDF. In my
experience the files so produced are quite large. I imagine the
resolution is the screen resolution.

You may also want to try GraphicConverter <http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/>
to perform operations on the graphical file. It used to be shipped with
Macs (it was on my present one-year-old PowerBook G4), I don't know
whether that's still the case now. A "problem" though is that by
default it tries to add a preview to the file, and also a custom icon
for the Finder; these are both OS 9 inheritage, clearly unnecessary for
OS X. In addition to making files significantly larger, they also add
resources to the file, breaking compatibility with other platforms
(Unix, Windows) in case you perform a file transfer. Hence I would
advise disabling these options before converting any file with
GraphicConverter.

Other solutions, of course, are Adobe Photoshop (I don't have it) or
Gimp.app (<http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/> and
<http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/> -- requires the optional
installation of Panther's X11). I don't use the Gimp myself for now,
but I've heard and read good things about it, maybe it can perform
conversions as well.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin