Using packages (was: Re: [OS X TeX] is i-Installer cool?)

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Tue May 4 15:10:17 CEST 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> What do I do with the files? They are not on the i-Installer's list of
> i-packages!
>
> or
>
> You should never try to help an install-indiot.

	Disregarding your own advice, see if this information helps:

	First, booktabs appears to be part of the standard gwTeX installation,
so you do not need to install an additional i-Package.  In fact, you
will find that Gerben has done a nice job of incorporating a large
number of LaTeX packages (which are *not* the same as i-Packages) into
the base install.

	Second, I presume you now have enough experience with LaTeX to know
what the "preamble" of a document is.  (If you are unclear, refer to
one of the links under "Writing documents with LaTeX" in the reply I
just sent to the list on the subject: "TeX is not for the faint of
heart".)  In your preamble, add the line:

\usepackage{booktabs}

The references above also should clarify what LaTeX packages are and
how to use them.  They are what add power and flexibility to LaTeX.

	Third, use the commands outlined in the booktabs documentation
<http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/booktabs/
booktabs.pdf> to format your tables.

	By the way, I cannot recommend enough that you invest in a printed,
off-line book on LaTeX.  There are many to choose from, and everyone on
the list has a different favorite.  (Search the list archives for
"LaTeX books" or the like.)  My personal favorite is "Guide to LaTeX"
by Kopka & Daly (which just came out in a 4th edition), but it is
solidly for intermediate (not beginning) users, IMHO.

                                         -- Mike