[OS X TeX] TeX is not for the faint of heart

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Tue May 4 15:07:06 CEST 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 6:57 AM, Will Robertson wrote:

> Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> Who can get me a basic set that I can put on the Desktop (after
>> asking the
>> user of course and only during non-expert install)

	I understood Gerben was looking for existing documents, rather than a
comprehensive example file, to place on the desktop.  That said, I have
some additions to the proposed document below.

	However, I would recommend instead opening a web page of documents and
other links upon completion of the installation, rather than placing
things on the Desktop.  For example, a link to "A Not So Short
Introduction..." could be included -- that way the user can choose to
download the document(s) if he/she sees fit, to a directory of his/her
choice (although one might recommend a specific location in the
personal TeX tree), or bookmark that page for later reference, or just
browse.

	Here is a partial list of links I have collected for myself and
recommended to new LaTeX users over the years.  Feel free to
add/subtract as desired.

* Introduction to (La)TeX
	http://www.tug.org/begin.html

* (La)TeX and Mac OS X
	http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/default.html
	http://www.rna.nl/tex.html
	http://latex.yauh.de/index_en.html
	http://www.nat.vu.nl/~sneep/tex/Mac-TeX-FAQ.pdf

* Writing documents with LaTeX
	http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf
	http://sarovar.org/projects/ltxprimer
	http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/beginlatex/html/
	(or
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/beginlatex/beginlatex.letter.pdf)
	http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-
letter.pdf

* Additional assistance and resources
	http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes
	http://latex.s-v-p.de/
	http://www.macrotex.net/texbooks/
	http://www.ctan.org/

(Aside:  I would strongly recommend PDF Browser Plugin
<http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/> as a very handy way to view
.pdf and .ps docs from within most common browsers.  It's free for
personal, educational, and non-profit use.)

> I just whipped this up then, so I may have left some things out.
>
> Will
>

> %%% PREAMBLE
>
> MEMOIR CLASS
>
> GRAPHICX      % for graphics support. Lets you use PDF,JPG & PNG
> BOOKTABS      % to create nice looking tables
> HYPERREF      % to create hyperlinks in the final pdf document
> AMSMATH       % to typeset complex math
>
> Maybe
> FANCYREF      % for advanced referencing within a document

	I would recommend the following packages as well, especially if one
goal is to assist those moving from a word processing environment to
LaTeX:

\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}	% For setting page dimensions
\usepackage{setspace}				% For double-spacing text
\usepackage{natbib}				% For references and bibliographies

                                         -- Mike