[OS X TeX] Writing an abstract book and custom index

Steffen Lund Hokland hokland at mr.au.dk
Thu Mar 25 10:13:08 CET 2004

Dear All,

I'm currently helping my Mother (if nothing else, I'm at least a good
son...) writing an abstract book for a conference she's arranging. I've
poked around CTAN and c.t.t for either a suitable class, or some
'manual', but haven't had any luck. Each entry should look as:

\customcounter{Title of abstract} %The actual title should then be
something like: I17 This a Title on Some Bio-stuff where 'I17' is the
counter value (only the number is incremented, the 'I' means
'Invited')%

Authors.
Affiliations.

Abstracttext

Acknowledgments

My idea is to have the abstracts in separate .tex files, and \include
them in the master document. The tex-files would then contain some
macro:
\newabstract{Title}{author}{affiliations}{text}{thanks}
All the formatting issues will be addressed in the macro-definition....
Is this an obviously stupid approach?

The main problem is that I'd like to make an author index, which refers
not to the page number, but the abstract number(s) containing the
author name, e.g.

Foo, John I34, P17

(where I34 and P17 are two different custom counters referring to
Invited no. 34 and Poster no. 17, respectively). Is this possible at
all, without getting deep and dirty in Plain TeX?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the somewhat erratic post.

Steffen

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and
reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against
which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily
in high schools."
-- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary
rocket work.

"Correction: It is now definitely established that a rocket can
function in a vaccuum. The 'Times' regrets the error."
-- NY times, July 1969.

Steffen Lund Hokland, MSc.
Research Assistant

The MR-Research Centre