[OS X TeX] pdftex error

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at wsu.edu
Fri Mar 19 02:03:17 CET 2004

On 18 Mar, 2004, at 18:47, Lorant Olasz wrote:

> For the past day I've been trying to get a working latex installation,
> first with fink and then with I-installer. Installation process
> produces no errors. However, when trying to compile a file with pdftex
> I get the following error:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.3 \documentclass
>                  [10pt] {article}

Here it looks as though you have a space between [10pt] and {article}
which produces this error with pdftex.  Try this:

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\begin{document}
This is a test.
\end{document}

> Also I could not run
> pdftex example
> as the example.tex file is not found by pfdtex.

Where is the file example.tex?  If you run this from Terminal, you can
type `pdftex` at the prompt, then drag your example.tex file to the
Terminal window and hit return.

hth,
Adam