[OS X TeX] Updating GW distribution

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 06:14:37 CEST 2004

On 29 Jun 2004, at 11:27 AM, David Oliver wrote:

> I've not updated my teTeX distribution via GW's installer (v.2 circa
> 2002) in sometime and wish to do so now.

It's always nice to get up to date every once in a while...

> Would that it were possible to update packages and documentation that
> have changed or been added rather than reinstalling the entire
> multi-megabyte distribution. I suspect this is not possible and if
> anyone wants to confirm this (or pleasantly surprise me otherwise) I'd
> be grateful.

i-Installer is as clever as it can be: it will only *download* that
which has changed (if you haven't updated in a while that still may
well be significant). It would be a fairly impossible task, I believe,
to incrementally upgrade the whole TeX tree. Besides, it makes no
difference from your end, as we'll see...

> Can someone remind me of the special care one needs to take on a
> re-install (actually, an update) as opposed to first install or point
> me to an appropriate doc with this information? I could not find this
> point discussed at http://www.rna.nl/tex.html. I mainly wonder whether
> the directory structure will be automatically updated or an entire new
> structure installed in addition in  ~/Library/

You might be thinking of the readme.howtexfindsfiles.txt, but apart
from that I don't believe there is a document about this sort of thing.
Relax and let i-Installer do the work for you...

If you've installed things as you should have, you need take no
precautions.
i-Installer will overwrite everything in the texmf.tetex tree and the
texmf.gwtex tree (both in the /usr/local/tetex/share/ directory), and
leave intact everything inside the texmf.local tree as well as
~/Library/texmf/. That's why the separate directories exist!

Best of luck!