[OS X TeX] [Slightly OT] Special formatting for first page

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Jun 28 16:09:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 09:39:46AM -0400, Jon Breitenbucher wrote:
> I tried this question on text.comp.tex and got nothing. So I'll try
> here with the hope that someone can help.
>
> I am trying to set up a LaTeX template for my MAA student section
> newsletter. The first page of this newsletter has a masthead which is
> about 2.5 inches high. I have used the geometry package to layout the
> page and can set the headheight to 2.5 inches to get the first page to
> look write. However, the header graphic on the rest of the pages is
> only .5 inches and the 2.5 inch headheight is too big on those pages.
> What I would like to know is if it is possible to set headheight to be
> different in different parts of the document? Right now this is based
> off of the article class with twocolumns. Is there another document
> class that would be better? I can provide a PDF of the current format.
> TIA

Don't put the masthead in the page header.
Try something like:

\thispagestyle{empty}
\twocolumn[\masthead]

You may have to use some trickery to make the masthead start higher
than the normal start of the page e.g. define the \masthead macro as
a minipage which starts with \vspace*{-2in}.

--
Siep Kroonenberg