[OS X TeX] TeXShop features, AppleScripting

Jérôme Laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Fri Jun 25 09:24:50 CEST 2004

Le 24 juin 04, à 09:32, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On 24 jun 2004, at 7:08, Martin Steer wrote:
>
>> Jérôme Laurens <jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr> writes:
>>
>>> I did not know that emacs was managing project files. Can you point
>>> me
>>> on doc explaining how emacs manages projects?
>>
>> Sorry Jérôme (and list), I was too hasty. I was thinking of how
>> emacs/auctex/reftex can be used to manage multiple tex files which are
>> part of a single document -- if they are included files, they need not
>> be open, but can all be listed or opened from the current working
>> file,
>> and tocs, labels and so on accessed. I acknowledge that this is a
>> different matter from managing a project which might contain multiple
>> documents and non-text files.
>>
>> I guess the basic strategy of listing items in a control file, so that
>> they are accessible from any listed file, could be adapted to
>> projects.
>
> I use a the same strategy: the master document is the control file,
> most files you could ask for are listed there anyway. I wrote some
> scripts (for BBEdit) so that I can quickly open the master document
> from any of the child documents (search for the %SourceDoc directive,
> and open the file it points at) and another script that allows me to
> open an \input'ted or \include'd file (by referencing from the
> directory where the master is in. As a bonus, that script also opens
> the metapost source for a file included with \includegraphics (if it
> exists).
>
> Personally I don't feel I need a separate project file, maybe some
> added directives to open external documentation, support-files, and
> things like related Mathematica notebooks, Igor projects, etc. With
> BBEdit, and probably iTeXMac, such things can easily be added with
> AppleScript (And at least on BBEdit: you can assign a keyboard
> shortcut to your own commands).
>
> OTOH, IIUTC the program TeXNicCenter
> (http://www.texniccenter.org/front_content.php?idcat=26) uses the
> project file to store indexing information to aid in inserting
> references, just like build directory Xcode uses. A project file might
> be useful for that.

and store encoding information, language, ignored words, open files,
window position, pdf viewer, text editor, selected text range, pdf page
displayed, TeX format or script ...
So many "tiny" things that make life so much easier and work so much
efficient.

Actually, you say you are satisfied with the %SourceDoc declaration,
but it had a real cost and you had to spent some time for that.
With projects, we could achieve the same result and much more with no
extra work for users.
For example, do you feel comfortable if you happen to rename your
master document? You have to edit all of your slave docs instead of
editing once a project file. Fortunately, this thing does not happen
very often.
Actually, if you share docs with people on different platforms, "la vie
n'est pas rose", life is not so comfortable.