[OS X TeX] Type Classics for Learning

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Wed Jun 23 17:18:24 CEST 2004

On Jun 23, 2004, at 4:47 AM, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> Some of these fonts (Jenson, Myriad, Utopia) include a dozen or more
> faces, though I didn't notice ligatures (not sure where to look for
> those anyway) or small caps.

Any of the Pro + Opticals (Chapparal, Cronos, Minion, Jenson, Warnock)
contain about 32 faces and tyipically sell for around $300. A number of
the Standard and Pro fonts (Utopia, Sanvito, Nueva, Myriad, Moonglow)
have a dozen or more fonts and would sell for around $170. So this is a
great deal and a great way to start experimenting with OpenType fonts.

Since the fonts are OpenType, they work well with XeTeX version .83. I
have tried to set up .fd files for XeTeX for all of the fonts listed
above as well as Adobe Garamond Pro and Adobe Caslon Pro. The Pro fonts
appear to have all of the OpenType features (oldstyle numbers,
discretionary ligatures, stylistic alternates, contextual alternates,
swash, small caps, etc.); however, there are some faces which lack a
few features. Once you have the fonts you can use the otfinfo -f
fontname command available as part of Eddie Kohler's lcdftools to see
what features are supported and can be set in the .fd file.
The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with facts for which Archimedes
would have sacrificed his life. (Ernest Renan)

Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
Wooster, Ohio 44691

(330)263-2207