[OS X TeX] TeXShop features, AppleScripting

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jun 23 14:04:26 CEST 2004

On 6/23/04 3:19 AM, "Joel Gilmore" <gilmore at physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a slightly long email - I apologise in advance. So - I've just
> recently made the Switch from Windows to Mac, and, consequently, WinEdt
> to TeXShop for my latexing.  Now I like the TeXShop interface - very
> smooth! - and it has some nice features but there are several things
> from WinEdt that I really miss.   One was its very powerful internal
> scripting language.  This let you insert text, move the cursor around,
> delete text, etc.  Perfect for macros where you want to do some funky
> stuff!  I've thrashed google thoroughly trying to find some TeXShop
> alternatives, but to no avail.  Things that I miss:
>
> * Internal scripting
> * The ability to type a keyword (like "eq") in your document, his
> Alt-Enter (say, Command-Enter on the Mac) and have the corresponding
> Macro executed.  This was particularly useful because on the fly I
> could type "eq", hit alt-enter and have an equation environment ready
> for me to keep typing.  CommandCompletion almost does this, but not
> quite.

Howdy,

Try TypeIt4Me (shareware) <http://www.typeit4me.com/> and FasTeX
(contributionware) <http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~fastex/>. I'm just starting
to work with it so I don't have details but it is very powerful. Maybe not
everything but...

> * Interactive \ref{} and \cite{} popups - when you typed the closing
> brace, it gathered all labels and bibliographic references and put them
> in a pop up, and you could select the one you wanted, and it would
> insert it automatically.  Very useful for remembering your labels!

This has been mentioned before and certainly would be nice!

> * Project files - I often have several tex (or other text) files I want
> opened all together, not all of which will be type set, but are of
> relevance to my project.  It seems TeXShop can't do this?

There is ongoing discussion about the best way to implement projects. No
conclusions yet.

> * Bookmarks within my document!

Well, you can make tags but that isn't as convenient as invisible marks.
Maybe you're a candidate for emacs
<http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/mac-emacs/>
> I know the ITexMac has more power - but I can't stand hard wrapping.
> Got to be soft!  Particularly because I still go between Windows and
> Mac machines, and the tex just looks awful there.  It's a deal breaker
> for me, I'm afraid. Of course, none of this means I don't like TeXShop
> - I just miss those features!  And ideas or discussion much
> appreciated.

I believe that hard wrapping can be easily turned off.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)