[OS X TeX] trim pdf figures

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 03:15:26 CEST 2004

Hi Bruno, and Lou,

On 23/06/2004, at 6:02 AM, Louis A.Talman wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2004, at 2:37 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> The last time I tried both EPS and PDF files produced in this way did
>> not have any proper size: either the bounding box was a whole page,
>> or the bounding box was "correct" but graphics were scaled (they did
>> not have the default size I had specified in the front-end styles).
>>

> I do this frequently, and I've never had any difficulty.  Did you use
> the ImageSize -> {x, y} option, with x the desired width and y the
> desired height, both in printer's points?

Display[...] has never given me trouble, whereas the "Save As..." menu
did strange things with the size of graphics containing axis-labels.

Here's a description of the best I could determine about this:

   The size of the complete image + labels is correct, according to
   the Front-End settings.

   The content of the graph/plot, without labels, has the same
   aspect-ratio as the on-screen graphic.

   When the size of the text used for labels means that the labels
   extend outside the area of the graph itself, then the content is
   scaled down, but preserving the aspect-ratio.

The result is that graphics with a wide label on the y-axis have
a lot of room allocated to the label, with the graph/plot itself
squashed to fit the supposedly required size.

It is impossible to use the WarmReader method with graphics generated
this way. Marked-point information can be generated from within the
Mathematica Front-End, but the scaling-down of the important part of
the image means that the marked-point coordinates would be wrong
when the image is included in a (La)TeX document.

Using Display, these bad effects do not happen.
The size of the label adds to the natural size of the graph/plot.

I've not had much experience yet with graphics from version 4.0+
and don't know whether there are any quirks with the Export[...]
function.

> --Lou Talman
>   Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
>   Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
>   <http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl>

And yes, I've also received replies to my last message to this list,
before getting the message itself.
For me, mac.com  is not involved (though I do have such an address
that I use for  iChatAV ).

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114