[OS X TeX] Indexing

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 06:25:30 CEST 2004

I indexed a few words in a 6 page book, *Functions.tex*, and
I think I followed the instructions at the bottom of Companion 649:

    * Include the makeidx package with a \usepackage command
    * Put a \makeindex command in the document preamble
    * Put a \printindex command [...] before tthe \end{document.

I typeset the document and *showidx* indeed shows the indexed entries in
the margin and a *Functions.idx* file was created as well.

But I cannot create the index itself even though I have now spent well
over an hour on Companion 655. I don't even understand the first three
lines.

    To generate the formatted index, you should run the /MakeIndex/
    program by typing the following command (where /Functions/ is the
    name of the input file).

        _makeindex Functions.idx_

On Companion 11, it says

    Commands to be typed by the user on a computer terminal are shown
    [as above]

But when I typed this on the terminal (among other "esperiences") it
said that it couldn't find the file.

So, please, what am I doing wrong?

Regards
--schremmer