[OS X TeX] Fourier & SanSerif & Typewriter Fonts

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Jun 14 11:46:58 CEST 2004

On 13 Jun 2004, at 8:26 AM, Herb Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I don't know why I didn't notice this before but the fourier package
> makes
> the default serif font utopia (scaled to be approximately the same
> size a CM
> at 10pt - too bad!) and adds math and symbol fonts that look good with
> the
> scaled utopia but DOESN'T do anything about the sans serif and
> typewriter
> fonts. Since fourier uses T1 encoding it appears that it is getting
> the sf
> and tt fonts from the CMSuper collection I have. What happens if you
> don't
> have that?

Bitmap fonts are substituted in my case. Yuck!
Good thinking with using lmss & lmtt instead.

> I only wish I knew of a better fit since both the sf and tt fonts in
> CM and
> latin modern (they look essentially identical to me) look a bit too
> large
> with the (scaled) utopia used with fourier.

Really? I find the x-heights of the lm fonts much too small without the
scaling. I reckon Utopia could be scaled *down* a little bit more
actually (only a fraction, mind).

Have you tried comparing the fonts side by side on the same line?

Anyway, if you want utopia full-size, then you can just call the utopia
package after you have the fourier one.

Regards,
Will