[OS X TeX] Re:

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 11:44:30 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I'm sorry for sounding short with you. I am of course grateful for
> your help.

No problem for sounding short, we're all very short of time. I was just
going through my OS X TeX mailbox searching for the former messages in
this thread, which I confess I had forgotten.

>> - Did you run from Terminal "sudo updmap --enable Map fourier.map"?
>
> Yes, more than once:
>
> using config file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged. Map
> files not recreated.

I got this message a couple of times in circumstances (not specifically
related to Fourier) when, if I remember correctly, an unsuccessful
attempt had added a .map entry in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg, but then failed to
update
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
etc. accordingly:

- /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg is the config
file read by updmap, and updated by it at the beginning of each run.

- /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
is the file, defining font mapping, created by updmap and used by dvips
to map metrics names such as futr8r.tfm to actual font files such as
putr8a.pfb.

- /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
does a similar job for pdfTeX, etc.

What happens probably is that, when your run "sudo updmap --enable Map
fourier.map", updmap checks first the content of updmap.cfg, finds
there the line:

	Map fourier.map

then thinks everything necessary has already been done in an earlier
run and refuses to proceed.

What you can try is, in Terminal, the succession of commands:

	sudo updmap --disable fourier.map
	sudo updmap --enable Map fourier.map

The first should comment out the Fourier-related line in updmap.cfg,
and the second should uncomment it and then recreate dvips.map etc.
accordingly.

But the best thing to do is probably be to erase your local Fourier
font setup completely (TFM, PFB, etc. files), and reinstall the TeX
i-package whose latest incarnation (released this morning) contains the
Fourier fonts.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin