[OS X TeX] fourier package

Will Robertson will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au
Sun Jun 13 09:43:13 CEST 2004

On 13 Jun 2004, at 5:03 AM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2004, at 5:41 AM, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> ditto ~/Desktop/fourier-GUT/ ~/Library/texmf/
>>
>> The terminal command ditto is your friend, because it merges the
>> fourier-GUT folder heirarchy into the local texmf heirarchy.
>
> 	That's the first time I've even come across ditto in that context.
> If instead one wanted to add it to texmf.local, would the correct
> command be the following?
>
> 	sudo ditto ~/Desktop/fourier-GUT/ /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
>
> Also, does this work for other packages on CTAN?  Under what
> circumstances?  Seems this approach might address some of the earlier
> discussion on this list about package management.

The ditto command simply merges folder hierarchies; if I recall
correctly, the cp command can do the same thing with slightly different
syntax. So, it will work whenever a package is bundled up in a mini TeX
tree.

In general, I believe it's now common practise to do this with complex
packages (like fourier), but older packages (like cmolddig) do not.

Will