[OS X TeX] Fourier & SanSerif & Typewriter Fonts

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jun 13 00:56:38 CEST 2004

Howdy,

I don't know why I didn't notice this before but the fourier package makes
the default serif font utopia (scaled to be approximately the same size a CM
at 10pt - too bad!) and adds math and symbol fonts that look good with the
scaled utopia but DOESN'T do anything about the sans serif and typewriter
fonts. Since fourier uses T1 encoding it appears that it is getting the sf
and tt fonts from the CMSuper collection I have. What happens if you don't
have that?

To fix that problem, I've started to use the two lines from lmodern.sty:

\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{lmss}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{lmtt}

so that the sf and tt fonts come from the latin modern family that gerben
includes with gwTeX.

I only wish I knew of a better fit since both the sf and tt fonts in CM and
latin modern (they look essentially identical to me) look a bit too large
with the (scaled) utopia used with fourier.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)