[OS X TeX] Fonts and PSNFSS

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Sun Jun 13 00:32:46 CEST 2004

	Just to elaborate on Bruno's suggestion, after I tried it myself....

On Jun 12, 2004, at 4:49 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 12 juin 04, à 19:44, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>
>> In fact, I had suspected that the package must have been i-installed
>> but I had no idea how to go about checking whether it had and what
>> had happened to it.
>
> A more practical, second-thought answer: let's assume you see the
> package pifont mentioned, and you would like to check whether it's
> installed and where. Go to the Finder, then:
>
> - Open a window and navigate to /Library/ (it's displayed under a
> localized name in the Finder, for example "Bibliothèque" in French),
> make sure teTeX appears as one of its sub-directories.

	On my setup, teTeX appears as an alias, which one can identify by the
little curved arrow badge on the lower-left corner of the folder
icon....

	By the way, there are (at least) two Library directories on your Mac.
The slash in front of "/Library" means you want the one that is a
subdirectory from your hard drive icon, not the one that is a
subdirectory from your home directory (which is denoted ~/Library, ~
being a shorthand for "your home directory").  This is an important
subtle point to those new to OS X, as *both* /Library and ~/Library may
have teTeX subdirectories -- but the files in question most likely will
only be found in /Library.

> - In the File menu, select Find… (Cmd-F).
>
> - Drag the teTeX directory to the white area inside the Find window
> that appears. It will add this directory to those (Documents, iDisk,
> etc.) already available by default for the search.

	In order to see the "white area" in the Find window, one must have
"Specific places" selected in the "Search in:" drop-down menu.  (Sorry,
don't know what that would translate to in French.)  If this is the
first time you have done this, only your hard drive icon (with a check
box to the left) will be listed there.

> - Check teTeX and uncheck the other directories.
>
> - In the pop-up menus below this white area, select "Visibility" in
> the first and "Visible and Invisible Elements" in the second.
>
> - Then press the "+" button which will allow to add one more search
> criterion, and select "The name" "Starts with" (for example) and type
> the name of the file to search for, here "pifont.sty".
>
> You're done, you will search for the file "pifont.sty" inside the
> directory /Library/teTeX/ where the TeX distribution lives.

	And, in my experience, you won't find anything.  I don't know if it is
specific to my Mac or not, but following these instructions turned up
nothing.

	However, I was able to find 'pifont.sty' once I replaced the alias to
the teTeX directory with its original.  (In the directory list in the
Find window, the original will not have the little arrow badge.)  A
cursory glance at the Terminal suggests that this is a Unix symbolic
link and not a Mac alias, and that may account for the failure --
although I'm really just guessing here.

	To place the original directory instead of the alias in the Find
window, first select the alias icon for /Library/teTeX in the Finder.
Then type <Command>-R or select "Show Original" from the File menu in
the Finder.  Then drag the actual (badge-less) folder icon to the Find
window as above.  Now the above steps *will* reveal the 'pifont.sty' in
the Finder, at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfss/pifont.sty .

	Switching between the alias for teTeX and the actual folder in the
Find window seems to confirm that the Finder has trouble with the
alias.  This is on a PowerBook running 10.3.4 with all the latest
security updates.

> PS There are command-line tools like "locate" or "find" that allow to
> do this from Terminal.app, but personally (being a "Rest of Us"
> person) I prefer the Finder way.

Actually, I must confess to using the 'find' command in Terminal after
the initial Finder search with the aliased directory failed.  For the
curious (Unix gurus should tune out now), I typed the following in the
Terminal:

	cd /Library/teTeX

Note that even though this is a symbolic link, Unix commands will treat
it as if it were the actual directory.  (In apparent contrast with the
Find command in the Finder....)  Next I typed:

	find . -name pifont.sty

Here, 'find' is the command, '.' is a shorthand for 'this directory'
(and subdirectories by default with the find command), '-name' is an
option to find by name ('man find' in the Terminal will reveal a number
of other options), and 'pifont.sty' is the name of the file to find.

The 'locate' command is even easier:  just type

	locate pifont.sty

in any directory, and it will quickly show up -- provided your Mac has
been left to run over night (not off or sleeping) so that it can built
and update this database.

Finally, since you are looking for a TeX file, you could always type

	kpsewhich pifont.sty

which also will find the file in the appropriate directory.

	Hope this helps as well!

                                         -- Mike