[OS X TeX] panther

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 15:37:45 CEST 2004

Le 11 juin 04, à 15:13, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> 1 - How did you install 10.3.2? Straight update, archive & install, or
> (I always forget what the third option is).
> 2 - In case of the archive & install, I believe the /usr/local
> directory is also moved (but still invisible) to the archive with you
> old install. If you didn't customise that part (say add stuff to
> texmf.local, or change your texmf.cnf files), the easiest thing is
> probably to start your i-Installer, and install TeX & GhostScript
> again. Move everything you want from the archived install and trash
> it. That should remove the old TeX install. This of course only works
> when the original install was done with i-Installer, not Fink.
> 3 - While you're at it, 10.3.4 is current, and includes some important
> security fixes (be sure to install _all_ security fixes, as the latest
> fixes aren't in the 10.3.4 update).

Having recently done (alas!) another Archive & Install of Panther, and
having a number of personal additions to texmf.local, here is what I
did (or what I should have done to stay away from trouble, but that's
another story ;-):

- Before the install, backup your texmf.local directory. (In case you
didn't, it can still be recovered at "/Previous Systems/Previous System
1/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/".)

- First install TeX and Ghostscript etc. using i-Installer.

- Then put back in place all your personal additions to texmf.local
(Lucida fonts etc.). I mean not the whole folder itself, but all the
subdirectories you added inside it, one by one. I used drag-n-drop from
the Finder (a dialog pops up, asking for authentication).

- Run the configuration stage of the TeX i-Package to set the ownership
right for these additions (mine are owned by root).

- Use a script from Maarten
<http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2004/MacOSX-
TeX_Digest_03-02-04.html> to set the permissions right. From his
original message, slightly edited (I used only the first instruction,
for directories):

> There is one other point, the Finder (if you used the finder to copy
> your stuff) may set the permissions of folders to read,write,execute
> to all.
>
> # set directory to read only for group and others
> sudo find /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ -type d -exec chmod 755
> {} \;
>
> # set files to read only for group and others
> sudo find /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/ -type f -exec chmod 644
> {} \;

- Run, in Terminal, "sudo mktexlsr".

- In case your local additions include fonts (mine do), run updmap for
them, for example "sudo updmap --enable Map fourier.map".

- In case you're using XeTeX (I do), install it *last*, as it adds a
couple of lines to /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf, and these additions are
removed by the configuration stage of the TeX i-Package.

Then, I think, you're done!

Bruno