[OS X TeX] Feedback

Kannan Moudgalya kannan at iitb.ac.in
Sun Jun 6 19:05:49 CEST 2004

I find this post very useful.  I have always been confused by the
different types of distributions: i-installer, fink, darwin and others?  I
have long been a user of linux; I would just install Red Hat and stick to
it.  When I bought a PowerBook two years ago, I was worried about not
having all my favourite programs running in MacOSX.  I was delighted to
find fink and installed it.  After some time, I turned to Gerben's
installer as I had some problem with fink.  I recall removing some of
fink's path statements and directories.  In summary, I am sure that I am
using a little bit of every distribution now.  There are occasional
conflicts but they are not very serious.  Nevertheless, it is fair to say
that I am not making optimal use of the resources.

It will be nice if Gerben's writeup can be expanded so that a beginner can
decide what installation s/he needs.  Some advice like "if you want to use
mainly latex, xfig, gnuplot and emacs", go for i-installer and if you want
to do the following, install fink, etc.