[OS X TeX] Re: bibliographies and bibtex apps

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 28 16:33:39 CEST 2004

On 28 jul 2004, at 13:41, Denis Chabot wrote:

> 1) my citations are in hyperlink (and lime green :-[). Is the decision
> whether or not they are hyperlinked made in the bst file? Can I turn
> this off while keeping things I like to be hyperlinks colored and
> active (like references to figures)? How is the color chosen?

No, this is a side effect of the hyperref package. The documentation of
the hyperref package tells you how to change the colours. I believe
that the lime green (actually it is pure (RGB) green) is one of the
categories of links available, setting:

\hypersetup{colorlinks=true, linkcolor=black, anchorcolor=black,
citecolor=black,
	filecolor=black, menucolor=black, pagecolor=black, urlcolor=black}

Sets all links to be black, yet still active (this is my preference). I
think setting citecolor to black will solve the issue.

> 2) I cite a book for which authors and editors are given. I get a
> warning: "can't use both author and editor field". Can't see why not!

This is a limitation of the bst file, and it is there for a reason:
Commonly edited books have a different group of authors for each
chapter, and then the editors serve as "authors" for the whole book. If
the book has a single set of authors, the editor is usually there as a
"series" editor, and commonly they are ignored in a bibliography. when
refering to a chapter (with authors) in a book (with editors) both can
be used (although a cross ref is in order here).

> 3) I vaguely remember having seen a reference to a web site where one
> could see the output from various bst files, to make it easier to
> chose one. Does anyone know this site?

No. Make sure you read the items on bibtex in the UK TeX FAQ, it will
help you find a suitable bst file, and resolve other issues:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes
You may want to check out the makebst script:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=custbib

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>