[OS X TeX] Hoefler...again

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 28 08:36:29 CEST 2004

Le 28 juil. 04, à 02:51, Casper Lassenius a écrit :

> I have unsuccessfully tried to make Hoefler Text work in LaTeX. Having
> read
> the archives, and tried both the .dfont->ttf->ttf2tex and the
> .dfont->ptype1
> route explained in Bruno Voisin's Font tutorial, I am beginning to be
> desperate.
>
> My problem is the same as a previous poster's: lots of missing glyphs,
> including ligatures, hyphens, quotes and numbers. The glyphs that do
> show up
> *do* look very nice...

Here I'm afraid I cannot help. The tutorial I once wrote was tested by
myself only for some Mac OS Classic fonts (MathTime and Lucida,
actually), and for some others in OS X TrueType or PostScript Type 1
format (such as Arial or Times New Roman).

For the more recent fonts specific to OS X, including Hoefler Text,
Optima or Trebuchet MS, I am now using XeTeX for which no font
"pre-processing" is necessary. Thus I must say I don't feel the
motivation anymore for trying to make them work with standard TeX.
XeTeX has its own set of problems, due to its pre-release state (for
example it doesn't work well with traditional (La)TeX input such as
\'e, \c c, -- or \S and expects everything to be Unicode instead in the
input file, namely é ç – and § here), but the situation is rapidly
improving (there is even a fix for the above shortcoming, thanks to
Ross Moore). Moreover, by not requiring any font conversion, XeTeX
avoids any licensing issue potentially associated with the conversion.

For Hoefler Text all you need to do, XeTeX-wise, is put in the preamble:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{hoefler}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{m}{n}%
       {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{m}{it}%
       {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{bx}{n}%
       {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{b}{n}%
       {<-> ssub * hoefler/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{bx}{it}%
       {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{b}{it}%
       {<-> ssub * hoefler/bx/it}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{m}{sc}%
       {<-> "Hoefler\space Text:Letter\space Case=Small\space Caps"}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefler}

and let XeTeX and Mac OS X take care of the rest.

Similarly for Optima you would write:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{optima}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "Optima\space Regular"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{m}{it}%
   {<-> "Optima\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> "Optima\space Bold"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * optima/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{bx}{it}%
   {<-> "Optima\space Bold\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{b}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * optima/bx/it}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{optima}

and for Trebuchet MS:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{trebuchet}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{m}{it}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Bold"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * trebuchet/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{bx}{it}%
   {<-> "Trebuchet\space MS\space Bold\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{trebuchet}{b}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * trebuchet/bx/it}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{trebuchet}