[OS X TeX] adobe minion and garamond

Alan Curtis acurtis at ieee.org
Tue Jul 27 20:40:26 CEST 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Kyle Johnson wrote:

> I'm having trouble setting up some fonts for LaTeX, and I'd desperate
> for help.
>
> I am trying to get OpenType versions of
> Adobe Minion Pro (Regular and Italic) to work with LaTeX. I have
> downloaded the LCDF tools to try to create TFM files (and then
> hopefully
> AFM files somehow) but I don't know how to use OTFtoTFM. Can anyone
> explain to me how to do this or suggest an alternative?

I thought I give back some of the things I have learned from this list
by sharing this HowTo that I put together for my own use a while ago.

Alan

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_
\_

How to Install Minion OTF Font for LaTeX under OS X.

Build from notes from [OS X TeX], particularly from posts from Jason
Curole and Bruno Voisin.

This assumes that the lcdf-typetools are installed via i-Installer.

1. Start with the .otf fonts.

MinionPro-Bold.otf
MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
MinionPro-It.otf
MinionPro-Regular.otf
MinionPro-Semibold.otf
MinionPro-SemiboldIt.otf
MinionStd-Black.otf

2. Run

: otfinfo -f MinionPro-Regular.otf

to find out what features each font has

3. Decide what TeX fonts you want and what to call them. This is based
on the LaTeX font mechanism. We don't need to use virtual fonts; we will
create a .pfb file for each encoding/feature set we would like to use.
As an example, let's create a set of fonts in the standard OT1 encoding.
I used the file ot1pmn.fd (available from CTAN) as a guide. (pmn is the
standard TeX name for Adobe Minion: choose something else as a root name
if it is likely to cause confusion.)

A basic set might be,

Encoding: Family: Series: Shape: Name:
OT1	pmn	m	n	pmnr7t
OT1	pmn	m	sc	pmnrc7t
OT1	pmn	m	it	pmnri7t
OT1	pmn	b	n	pmnb7t
OT1	pmn	b	sc	pmnbc7t
OT1	pmn	b	it	pmnbi7t
OT1	pmn	sb	n	pmns7t
OT1	pmn	sb	sc	pmnsc7t
OT1	pmn	sb	it	pmnsi7t
OT1	pmn	eb	n	pmnc7t

4. Run otftotfm to make the fonts and maps

We first need an encoding file for OT1.

: cp /usr/local/share/lcdf-typetools/7t.enc .

We also need a place to store the .map output of otftotfm

: touch pmn.map

We'll also choose to use the ligatures and kerning features.

otftotfm -n pmnr7t  -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-Regular.otf
 >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnrc7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc -f smcp
MinionPro-Regular.otf  >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnri7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-It.otf
 >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnb7t  -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-Bold.otf
 >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnbc7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc -f smcp
MinionPro-Bold.otf   >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnbi7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
 >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmns7t  -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-Semibold.otf
 >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnsc7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc -f smcp
MinionPro-Semibold.otf   >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnsi7t -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionPro-SemiboldIt.otf
  >>pmn.map
otftotfm -n pmnc7t  -f kern -f liga -e 7t.enc MinionStd-Black.otf
 >>pmn.map

5. Open the pmn.map file in an editor and delete all lines that begin
"I had to ...". Save it.

6. Copy the map file to a convenient location. I use

: cp pmn.map ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/

and use updmap to update TeX's font maps.

For this I use my own .cfg file which has the extra line Map pmn.map

and the command

: sudo updmap --cnffile ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/updmap.cfg

These are the contents of ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/updmap.cfg

----------------------
# updmap.cfg
# master file is /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/updmap.cfg
# see that file for options
dvipsPreferOutline true
LW35 ADOBE
dvipsDownloadBase35 false
pdftexDownloadBase14 false
dvipdfmDownloadBase14 false

# ps-type1 versions for cm+ams; CTAN:fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky
MixedMap bsr.map
MixedMap bsr-interpolated.map

# Adobe Minion Map
pmn.map
----------------------------------

Be careful to include any other font maps you regularly use in this
file.

7. You can now test the fonts using

: pdftex
testfont
pmnr7t
\table
\end

etc.

8. To use the fonts in LaTeX using the standard scheme you need a .fd
file. Fortunately, there is one to hand, the ot1pmn.fd from CTAN.

To use this file, we need to edit the names in pmn.map and decide what
to do about the font shapes we didn't make. The latter are easy to deal
with, just comment out the appropriate lines. If you want to you can
edit the .map file to make versions of them on the fly.

The other edit in .map is to remove the '--base' from the font names to
make them compatible with the .fd file. Or you can also edit the names
in the .fd by adding --base. Remember to updmap if necessary.

9. Test the font.

Make a LaTeX document along these lines.

------
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\thispagestyle{empty}

\fontfamily{pmn}
\fontencoding{OT1}
\fontseries {m}
\fontshape {n}
\selectfont

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, flying off finally to the
fjord.
\end{document}
------

and test that it works.

10. Finally, put all the files in the right places. You need to find
homes for *.pfb, *.tfm, *.fd, *.enc

: mkdir -p ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/abobe/minion
: cp *.pfb ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/abobe/minion
: mkdir -p ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/abobe/minion
: cp *.tfm ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/abobe/minion
: mkdir -p ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/minion
: cp *.fd ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/minion
: cp *.enc ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map

You can ignore the .vf files.

11. If you wish, make a .sty file like
---------------
\ProvidesPackage{minion}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{pmn}
\endinput

12. For more details about installing fonts see the excellent tutorial
by Bruno Voisin.

http://homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html

and the thread on
[OS X TeX] Open type fonts with LaTeX (dvips+ghostscript)
with posts by Jason Curole.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>