[OS X TeX] Scripts/Macros R Useful!

Mohinish Shukla shukla at sissa.it
Mon Jul 26 19:03:57 CEST 2004

Hi,
	just to add a note about something I found very useful: (its probably
old hat for many, but Im a new user & it works in exciting ways! :")

-> The macro/scripting mode in TexShop is really great.. I've been
putting together a bunch of .cls and .sty files which I'll use for my
thesis in psycholinguistics, so it needed to have APA-style citations
and references, but also both author and subject indices, plus the use
of IPA fonts (tipa package) and also the ability to draw linguistic
trees..
	For a bunch of reasons, I cannot process the whole thing in TexShop,
but what I did, I wrote a shell script, and I added it to 'personal
scripts' in preferences, and used the %&personallatex command at the
document top..
- So now, all I do is hit the LaTeX button on TexShop, and it runs the
script, does all the (multiple) latexing, bibtexing build both indexes,
  and eventually converts to pdf (thru dvipdf)!!
- Of course the brilliant thing is that instead one can write
applescript in TeXShop, which does some preprocessing (backups, send
filenames around) and hopefully then it'll be even more generic..

The reason I bring this up is that many things that need the command
line can simple be scripted/macroed in TeXShop, so once you do that,
doing all the complicated stuff is done by just hitting a single
button, leaving you to work in peace on the content as the LaTeX
philosophy demands.. :)

Mohinish

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>