[OS X TeX] Odd table behavior

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jul 26 18:45:43 CEST 2004

Le 26 juil. 04, à 15:26, Lisa Schweitzer a écrit :

> I have a landscaped table using "rotating" that works great in
> TeXShop, but when I compile a dvi in OzTex, the table is not only NOT
> rotated, but it is shifted way down on the page, and way to the right.
> Why is this? Obviously I have the output i need, but I want to
> understand the difference in these programs for my own satisfaction.

OzTeX, like Textures, is software from the pre-OS X days, when display
was done in Mac OS through a set of graphical routines called
QuickDraw. In OS X QuickDraw has been replaced by Quartz, which is
based on PDF and thus more friendly towards pdfTeX or TeX + dvips +
ps2pdf.

Before OS X, in OzTeX and Textures, QuickDraw was used for screen
display and non-PostScript printing, and PostScript for (obviously)
PostScript printing. However, QuickDraw had many limitations compared
with PostScript; in particular, it could not rotate stuff (I think). If
I'm not mistaken, OzTeX, in its Carbon version, still uses QuickDraw
(like many other programs, Camino included).

More technically: OzTeX by default creates .dvi output from a .tex
file, and then uses on one side its built-in DVI-to-screen translator
(based on QuickDraw) for displaying this output, and on the other side
dvips for printing it (earlier in its history OzTeX used its own
DVI-to-PS translator). However, the magic in LaTeX's graphics/x
package, on which the rotating package is based, is achieved by
inserting, in the .dvi file, \special commands specific to either dvips
or pdfTeX, depending on which engine you use. OzTeX DVI-to-screen
translator cannot do anything with these commands, due to the
limitations of QuickDraw, and leaves them uninterpreted (more exactly,
it understands some of these commands, like those for scaling and
color, but not those for rotation). Hence what you see, but the file
should print properly. You can also check this by applying to the DVI
output from OzTeX, in the Tools menu, DVIPS then ps2pdf (assuming
you've got teTeX installed and have loaded the configuration file "Use
texmf tree" in OzTeX), and visualizing the result in Preview.

None of this happens in OS X with TeXShop or iTeXMac, because these are
based on Quartz, which is all PDF and is used for both display and
printing and is also the default output format of both TeXShop and
iTeXMac.

Regarding the sidewaystable environment: I use it at times for
producing landscape tables, and recently I've noticed one limitation:
if you use the hyperref package to insert hyperlinks in the table, you
need to use TeXShop's "TeX + Ghostscript" (in reality TeX + dvips +
ps2pdf) mode, not pdfTeX. Due to limitations in the way that pdfTeX
builds a page, hyperlinks in a rotated table won't work properly (a
hyperlink will be created, but it will not be positioned on the page at
the place where the corresponding text appears).

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>