[OS X TeX] Export Mathematica Code to TeXShop ?

Jack Kuipers kprs at calvin.edu
Tue Jul 20 03:10:37 CEST 2004

Thank you, Gary ! SORRY! Hope I haven't embarrassed anyone but myself by
the mistake !   I, too, was quite literally, surprised ... because I
would expect
Wolfram to deal directly with ... THE GREAT 'I AM,' ... that most of us
pray to.

BUT it's ALSO, too bad that I was so badly mistaken; Stephen Wolfram,
or some
of his people of his ILK would probably know in an instant, what it
would take to
make Mathematica and LaTeX be the best-of-friends, and exchange WORDS
together ...  which is the objective I'm hoping for.

Because I think THIS TeX & Mathematica relationship is so important,
and since
many on this list must have similar interests let me describe my
problem again,
as I see it, FOR ME.  Then, I'll go away and stay away, if I can ....
for a-while.

I use Mathematica to do some work involving 3x3 Matices and/or
Quaternions,
which are 4-tuples. Writing Mathematica or Quaternion programs to do
what needs
doing is not difficult. Writing about what I'm doing using TeXShop's
TeX or LaTeX
is a bit tedious when writing products of a few Matrices or Quaternions
in detail.
So, at every opportunity I would copy previously written stuff, say, in
Mathematica
and hopefully, with a little editing, use it again in a LaTeX document
to tell about it.
In Mathematica under FILE/ SAVE AS SPECIAL/ TEX would seem to do just
that.
But, LaTeX HATES what it sees; too many parens, Caps wrong, no
backslashes,
etc,. etc. It is much easier for me to start from scratch and write the
mathematics
description properly for LaTeX.

It would seem, since TeX and LaTeX were written primarily for pretty
Mathematics,
that exporting from one to the other would be friendly. IS THERE A WAY?

I use a Mac G4 OSX Panther 10.3.4, Math'ica 5.0. TeXShop 1.34.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Jack B. Kuipers
Professor  emeritus
Mathematics & Computer Science