[OS X TeX] cm vs cm-super vs lmodern

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jul 16 22:06:02 CEST 2004

On 7/16/04 2:53 PM, "Aditya Dushyant Trivedi" <atrivedi2 at student.gsu.edu>
wrote:

> Just a newbie question,
>
> If I have installed the cm-super package are the cm-super fonts used instead
> of cm without any specific declaration in my LaTeX file? Also is there any
> reason one would want to use the regular bitmapped cm fonts instead of
> cm-super?
>
> Also, why would I want to use lmodern over cm-super or vice versa? The font
> issues are a bit heady. Thanks.
>
> Eddy

Howdy,

To use the CMSuper fonts you need only add the line

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc]

To the preamble of your document. What the CMSuper and T1 font encoding does
is to use accented characters directly, without combining accents with
characters which breaks hyphenation, plus others characters that you can
access via \usepackage{textcomp}.

That said I must say I like using the Latin Modern fonts better; they seem
to be a better ``copy'' of the CM fonts with the same line breaks while
CMSuper seems to change line breaks. They should be used with the T1 font
encoding just like CMSuper: put

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

in the preamble and \usepackage{textcomp} adds some special characters to
the mix again.

The ordinary CM fonts that are used on the Mac are not bitmapped, they are
type 1 fonts.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>